Understanding Heroin Addiction and Abuse
Heroin is a dangerous drug because it is highly addictive and it can have a lot of bad side effects. Heroin can be difficult to treat, but it is not impossible. People who want to overcome their heroin addiction or abuse will most likely need to go to a heroin rehab center to get sober and overcome their addiction. Learn more about heroin below and heroin addiction as well as how to beat heroin addiction.
What is Heroin?
Heroin is an illegal drug that is highly addictive and dangerous. Heroin is a drug that is made from morphine, and morphine is taken from the see pot of an opium poppy plant. Use of heroin has increased over the last several years because of what is called the opioid epidemic. Heroin is considered an opioid drug, and the opioid epidemic occurred when people started misusing opioid painkillers and then switched to heroin.
Heroin is also known as horse, h, smack, junk, and skunk. It can be found in a white or brown powder as well as a black sticky substance. Heroin can be injected, sniffed, smoked, or snorted. It can also be combined with other drugs, which can increase the risk of an overdose. Below, you can learn more about how addictive heroin is.
How Addictive is Heroin?
Addiction is common for people that use heroin because of how this drug can make you feel. Heroin is known to make people feel relaxed and even euphoric. Some people describe the effects of taking heroin as a feeling of warmth and relaxation. The effects of heroin can appear very quickly and they can last for several hours depending on the dose.
Many people get addicted to heroin because of the positive emotional effects, but heroin creates a physical dependence as well. Once your body gets used to ingesting heroin on a regular basis, the body will become dependent. This means you will experience withdrawal symptoms anytime you try to stop using heroin. These withdrawal symptoms are often enough to get anyone to keep using heroin. Withdrawal symptoms from heroin can include nausea, depression, muscle spasms, shakes, abdominal pain, and more. However, if you seek help from a rehab facility, you can go through a medically supervised detox to beat your heroin addiction.
Heroin Addiction Statistics
Above, we learned about heroin and how addictive it is. People can very quickly become addicted to heroin and lose everything. You can check out some statistics related to heroin addiction below.
- In 2007, there was one estimate of 153,000 current heroin users in the United States, but other estimates go even higher.
- In 2017, there were as many as 494,000 people that were heroin users.
- Approximately 18% of people admitted to drug treatment centers are admitted because of heroin use.
- In 2013, there were 8,257 deaths related to heroin overdose.
As you can see, there are some scary statistics associated with heroin addiction and abuse. However, people can overcome this heroin addiction by seeking treatment from a rehab facility. Learn more about how to beat heroin addiction below.
How to Beat Heroin Addiction with Treatment
Heroin addiction is something that is a problem for many people. However, you can beat heroin addiction by getting treatment at a rehab facility. Learn more about how to beat heroin addiction below.
- Detox from Heroin– The first step to beating your heroin addiction is to detox and get sober. It is best to detox medically in a rehab facility because then you will have supervision as you go through this process. Detoxing can be dangerous if you don’t have medical supervision.
- Address Mental Health– The next step in beating your addiction is to address any mental health issues or concerns. Sometimes a person has mental health concerns before they become addicted to drugs, but sometimes people get addicted to something and it changes their brain and can affect their mental health. Being aware of mental health can help you stay on the path of recovery.
- Build Healthy Habits– It is also important to build healthy habits as you are getting sober from heroin. These healthy habits can encourage you to stay away from drugs and they can replace some of your unhealthy habits or addictive behaviors.
- Understand Causes of Addiction – Next, you will need to go through therapies to talk about the causes of your addiction. It is essential to understand the causes of your addiction so that you can avoid getting addicted again.
- Implement Coping Strategies– Finally, you need to learn about different coping strategies and begin to implement them into your life. These coping strategies will be in place for a time when you ever want to start using heroin again. If you use the coping strategies, you can avoid using the drugs and getting addicted.
Heroin addiction recovery can start with going to a rehab center. There are a lot of great rehab centers out there to help you beat heroin addiction. United Recovery Project has a rehab facility that will help you get the heroin addiction treatment that you need to beat your addiction. Learn more about United Recovery Project and our drug & alchol addition treatment services.